Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Fremen stillsuit design flaw

I'm branching out a bit today into DVD territory, but to fulfill the brief of this blog I'll first mention that this version of Frank Herbert's Dune weighs in at 1.4 pounds. Not massive, but chunky enough to make you feel like you're attempting something significant. I remember really enjoying this book when I was a young fullah.
















I recently watched the crazy old movie version of Dune, starring Kyle McLachlan's hair.
While I enjoyed the nutty Baron Harkonnen's performance, I realised I had an issue with the design of the Fremen stillsuit. They breathe in through the mouth and out through the nose, with a nosetube collecting moisture from the exhalations.
But in a hot, dry environment, surely breathing in through the mouth would dry out your tongue and mouth very quickly. Also, your nose filters the air as it comes in, and cools the air. Wouldn't it be far better to breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth, with a tube attached to the mouth?
It would stilt the dialogue somewhat, but then again, it was pretty stilted in the movie anyway...
OK, everybody do their best Baron Harkonnen cackling laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment