Sunday, December 26, 2010

Factotum (no, not that one, the DM Cornish one)

I'm not talking about the book Factotum by Bukowski here. It's one by D. M. Cornish instead.


It's the 3rd book in the Monster Blood Tattoo series. Ostensibly for young adults, it really is the second closest thing to Tolkien I've found in ages. (Pat Rothfuss' Name of the Wind being the top contender).


The series follows a young orphan (no, in a fantasy series?!?) who takes up with a teratologist (monster-slayer) in a world where humans and monsters vie for territory and survival. Gradually the protagonist learns something rather unusual about himself. It may sound very formulaic but the writing is excellent and the atmosphere is absorbing.
Cornish has a fully-realised world waiting for you, complete with some very realistic maps, some great drawings of various characters, and one of my favourite things, an excellent glossary.
It's a good sturdy hardback, but not a massive thing. The US version is 1.8 pounds, according to Amazon.com. I think that's about 800 grams. I have the UK/Australia/NZ cover and I just like it better. I'm guessing it's about the same weight though.

No comments:

Post a Comment